Our mission is to encourage youth from all backgrounds and abilities, to see themselves as potential change-makers, engaged in civic participation with a positive vision of the future.
MeMA’s aim is to enhance student achievement by developing:
- Real-Life Skills—critical thinking, problem-solving, social & emotional.
- Historical Awareness—habits of inquiry, curiosity about history and our global society.
- Multicultural Awareness—a deeper understanding of their own culture, curiosity, and understanding of other cultures.
WHO WE ARE
MeMA-Music (Motivate and Encourage Music Appreciation) is a 501 c-3 non-profit arts education organization. MeMA was founded in 2012 by 20-year music industry executive, Jeanne Warsaw-Gazga, on two basic principles:
- A deep conviction that young people have the potential and vision to change the world.
- The exploration of socially-conscious music can become the vehicle for self-expression of young people’s values and beliefs.
In part one of our two-phase program, “Voice Your Soul”, students critically evaluate the ways in which artists create social change through their music as an entry point into social justice issues. Legendary songs of the 1960s-1970s, and video clips, are used to teach students how music has been a platform for social commentary and change.
In the second part of the unit, students will apply what they have learned about social justice issues and protests of the past and present and voice their own position on an issue of their choice, support their position with research-based evidence, and present it in a compelling way using media arts, technology, songwriting, and more.